Top tips for Veganuary 2022
Taking part in Veganuary? Want to try switching to plant-based for the first time? Read on for our top tips for Veganuary.
What is Veganuary?
Veganuary is a non-profit organisation whose mission is to inspire people to try going vegan for 30 days throughout the month of January. Launched in 2014, participation has more than doubled each year, with an estimated five million people committing to Veganuary in 2020!
Anyone can do Veganuary, and it’s not a problem if you don’t have a clue where to start or are feeling a little overwhelmed, you might just need a few pointers. We spoke to our plant-based experts and got some of their top tips for success as well as answers to the most common questions about Veganuary.
What is Veganism?
The Vegan Society defines Veganism as “A philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude – as far as possible and practicable – all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose”.
Simply put, vegans avoid using or consuming any animal derived products.
What foods do vegans avoid?
Meat and Fish
Dairy (including milk, cheese, butter, and yoghurt)
How can I make sure I’m not eating animal foods?
The confusion is most likely to come if you’re eating packaged foods, so it’s a good idea to get into the habit of checking the ingredients list to ensure there are no animal-derived ingredients. The easiest way to check this is to look for ‘suitable for vegans’ or the certified vegan logo.
What if I can’t cook?
Don’t panic, we know it can be daunting. However, there’s a plant-based version of almost everything you’d eat on a meat-based diet. This is the core reason Meatless Farm products were created – to make the swap as easy as possible by simply replacing meat for a like-for-like alternative that looks, cooks and tastes the same!
Browse our products and find out where to pick up a pack here: *LINK TO PRODUCT PAGE*
Will I be able to get enough protein?
Absolutely! Plant-based proteins are perfectly capable of supplying all your protein needs. As with a meat-based diet, a plant-based diet must be balanced and varied, but there are plenty of plant-based foods that contain protein. These include:
Beans & Pulses
Tofu, tempeh and edamame
Peanuts & peanut butter
Our products are a great source of protein, with ¼ pack of our mince containing 23.5g protein and one of our chicken breasts containing 17g protein.
Expert Top Tips for Taking part in Veganuary
- Don’t beat yourself up if you make a mistake. Veganuary is a challenge, so if necessary allow yourself shortcuts to make the diet work!
- Find a Veganuary buddy. Doing anything alone is always harder, so why not partner up with someone else and take on the challenge together?
- Find your reason. Are you wanting to try Veganuary for your health? Or because you want to make a difference and this is the perfect time to make a start? Once you have this reason that strikes a chord within you, remind yourself of this any time you lack motivation or feel like giving up.
- Subscribe to Veganuary. Veganuary isn’t just a clever word, it’s a full blown non-profit organisation that educates about a vegan lifestyle and its benefits. Their website and newsletter offer great tips and advice and exclusive delicious recipes to make your Veganuary journey as easy as possible.
- Find out what’s around. Veganuary is a great time to try out new foods in the supermarket and get out and try new restaurants. Following @Veganuary on Instagram is a great way to stay up to date with what’s around, and we recommend happycow.net as a helpful website to help you find vegan food nearby.
- Stock up on vegan pantry essentials. Such as, nutritional yeast to make things taste cheesy, a good butter replacement, vegan gravy/stock, milk alternatives, flax seeds (they make a great egg alternative in baking).
- Keep a list of your favourite easy vegan recipes. There are so many great sites that have delicious vegan recipes, we recommend a good place to start is our very own recipe page. With recipes made by both us and you, there’s something for everyone. Find all our recipes here *RECIPE PAGE*
Trying out some of our products this Veganuary? Let us know! Tag us on @meatlessfarm and use the hashtag #makeitmeatless so we don’t miss it!