How to make sprouts actually taste good!
Love them or hate them, Brussels sprouts are a traditional part of Christmas dinner. And while many people boil or steam their sprouts (remember Granny’s five-hour overcooked greens?) there are better sprouts recipes that will blow you away.
Follow these recipes from Meatless Farm chef Ben and we guarantee you that you’l convert even the most ardent sprout hater!
Crispy Brussels Sprouts with Sausages, Harissa & Maple Glaze
Elevate your sprouts game to the next level with our Plant-Based Chipolata Sausages and deliciously tangy and sticky maple harissa glaze.
Salt & Pepper Air Fryer Sprouts
The air fryer could be the must-have gadget this Christmas, thanks to their economic cooking credentials. And they’re also brilliant for sprouts recipes.
- 250g sprouts, washed and halved. (Trim any hard stalks off)
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- ½ bunch spring onions, sliced
- 1 tsp Szechuan peppercorns crushed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 tsp sesame seeds
- Mix the salt, sugar, 5 spice and peppercorns. This is your Salt & Pepper seasoning.
- In a bowl, mix the sprouts, pepper, chilli, garlic, onions, sesame, and oil.
- Mix in the Salt & Pepper seasoning.
- Tip everything into the air fryer.
- Cook at 200C for 10 minutes! (stir half-way through)
Pan Fried Garlic Butter Sprouts
Give the humble Brussels sprout a bit of TLC and a kiss of garlic butter. Pan frying them this way means that they get nice and crisp and golden.
- 250g sprouts, washed and halved
- 2 cloves garlic
- 150g salted butter
- 50g flat leaf parsley
- To make the garlic butter, roughly chop the parsley and garlic. Place in a blender with the butter and blitz until smooth or leave it chunky if you dig some texture.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, blanch the sprouts for 2 mins, then drain and run under cold water until chilled. Drain the sprouts and dry with paper towels.
- Place a non-stick pan over a medium heat, drizzle in some oil. Fry the sprouts flat side down until golden, then add the garlic butter to the pan. Toss well in the butter and cook until golden and crispy all over.
- Season with a little salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon.