Meat Free Mala Xiang Guo
- To start making the meatballs, make sure your Meatless Farm mince
is cold but not frozen. Mix oyster sauce, soy sauce, pepper, garlic, ginger and water chestnuts together with the Meatless Farm mince, until thoroughly combined.
- Roll them into meatballs of the desired size, and shallow fry in a pan until browned. Set aside whilst you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- To cook the mala sauce, heat cooking oil in a wok or large-sized heavy- bottomed pot, and sauté onions, garlic and chillies for 3 minutes, until aromatic.
- Carefully add the mala paste into the hot oil and stir-fry on medium-low heat for 3 minutes. Add the sugar, fish sauce, sesame oil and soy sauce and simmer for another minute.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and add the stir-fry ingredients. As the vegetables go into the pot, ensure that you stir frequently and mix to coat all the ingredients with the mala sauce. If the pot looks dry, you may add some hot water or stock to loosen the sauce slightly. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes
- Add sweet potato noodles or instant noodles; for a low-carb dish, use Konjac noodles instead. Stir fry for 1 more minute until cooked.
- Transfer to a plate or bowl and garnish with sesame seeds and fresh coriander leaf. Serve immediately!
- 400g Meatless Farm mince
- 120g water chestnuts, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp white pepper powder
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely minced
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 14 dried red chillies, soaked and left whole
- 5 tbsp instant mala paste (or mala soup base paste)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 50g baby corn, sliced
- 80g lotus root, sliced thin
- 50g dried beancurd skin, soaked and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 50g baby kai lan
- 50g chye sim
- 40g celery stalks, sliced thin
- 40g roasted peanuts
- 8 pcs shiitake mushrooms, soaked for 1 hour, sliced
- 10 pcs black fungus, soaked in warm water until soft, drained
- Sweet potato noodles Instant noodles
- 200g Konjac noodles for a low-carb option
- Coriander leaf White sesame seeds