Gaz Oakley’s Plantain Lasagne
- Pre heat a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the oil. Next to the pan add the onions, garlic, ginger, chilli, pepper & eggplant. Sauté the mixture for 5-6 minutes, stirring often. Try and get everything caramelised and golden.
- Once the vegetables have caramelised turn the heat down low and add the thyme, all spice, cumin, cinnamon, salt & pepper. Cook the spices out for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the Meatless Farm ground to the pan, and using a wooden spoon or spatula chop the ground into small pieces. Mix the ground really well into all the lovely spiced vegetables, then allow the ground to colour and cook for 3-4 minutes before deglazing the pan with tomato puree, soy sauce & maple syrup.
- After adding & mixing in the liquids cook the mixture for 4 more minutes whilst stirring often. Once cooked set the ground aside whilst you prepare the plantain layers.
- Pre heat a large non stick pan over a medium heat and add the vegetable oil.
- When the pan is hot, add a few plantain slices and cook them for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden. Once golden remove the slices from the pan and place them on to a plate lined with kitchen paper, to soak up excess oil. Repeat until you’ve fried all the plantain slices.
- Pre heat your oven to 180C.
- Now it’s time to build your lasagne, first layer I add a generous amount of the ground mixture into my oven proof baking dish. Next a layer of grated cheese, then slices of tomato & layer of spinach and then a layer of plantain slices, repeat until you’ve filled your baking dish. I press everything down using my spatular to make sure it’s really compact & I’ve gotten in as much as I can.
- Make sure you finish with a layer of plantain on top & sprinkle over some grated cheese.
- Bake the lasagne in your pre heated oven for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix together the slaw ingredients in a little bowl.
- Once baked, let the lasagne cool for 5 minutes before serving with the slaw & avocado.
- 400g Meatless Farm Meat Free Ground
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- Thumb-sized piece of ginger, minced
- 1 scotch bonnet chilli or red chilli, de-seeded & chopped small
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded & cubed
- 1 eggplant, cubed
- 1 tbs fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp all spice
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced fine
- 3 handfuls spinach
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- 6 ripe (yellow) plantains, peeled and sliced length ways about 1/2 cm thick `
- 135g Vegan Cheese, Grated (Applewoods Vegan Cheese)
- Handful Red Cabbage, shredded
- 1 Carrot, peeled & grated
- 1 Red Onion, finely sliced
- Handful of Coriander, chopped fine
- 1 tbs White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tbs Vegan Mayo
- Pinch Sea Salt & Pepper
- Pomegranate Seeds, optional