Meat-Free Spiced Festive Wreath
- In a frying pan, heat the vegetable oil over a medium heat. Add the bay leaf, cinnamon stick, clove and nutmeg, stir for 30 seconds then add the chopped mushrooms, onion and garlic. Fry until soft and then set aside.
- On a baking tray, place the butternut squash, lightly brush with vegetable oil, then sprinkle over the chilli powder. Add a bay leaf and cinnamon stick and roast in the oven at 180C until the squash is soft and caramelised (approx. 20 mins).
- In a large mixing bowl mix the ground with the onion and mushroom mixture. Add the butternut squash (remembering to remove the whole cinnamon sticks and bay leaves).
- Gently combine the ingredients until well mixed.
- Take your sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry and place it on a piece of grease-proof paper. Place an up-turned plate on top. (The plate should be as big as the narrowest dimension of the pastry). Cut around the plate with a knife and discard the off cuts.
- Remove the plate. Using an upturned glass, gently press into the centre of the circle, taking care not to go all the way through.
- Using a sharp knife, cut from the middle to the edge of the inner circle. You should make 4 cuts to give you 8 segments.
- Layer your mixture around the outer ring, leaving around 1cm to the outer edge. Top the mince mixture with crumbled Stilton.
- On the underside of the 1cm outer edge, brush on the beaten egg around the full circle – this will help the pastry stick to each other in the next step.
- Carefully lift one of the segments of the inner circle up and over the filling, while also bringing the outer edge to meet. Gently press the two pieces of pastry together to create a wrapping over the filling. Repeat around the wreath with the other 7 segments.
- Place the wreath on its grease-proof paper on a baking tray and then into a pre-heated oven at 180C for approx. 30 mins, until golden brown, checking on it occasionally.
- 1/2 pack Meatless Farm meat-free ground
- ½ butternut squash, finely diced into 1cm cubes
- 1 pack chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp ground clove
- 1 egg, beaten for glazing, or vegan alternative
- 150g Stilton, crumbled, or vegan alternative
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil