Meatless Christmas Curry
- For the meatballs mix all the ingredients together, shape into meatballs the size of table tennis balls (about 20g each). Place on a baking tray and cook in the oven at 180C/350F for 10 minutes. Leave to rest.
- Heat the veg oil in a pan over a low heat. Add the onion, garlic, turmeric, chilli and ginger and gently sweat for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the sweet potato, stir well and cover the pan and cook for 15 minutes. Stir frequently.
- When the sweet potato is starting to soften add the coconut milk and water, stir well and leave to simmer for 20 minutes until the potato is tender .
- Remove from the heat and season with the soy sauce. Leave to one side whilst you glaze the meatballs
- Place all the glaze ingredients (except for the sesame) in a pan that’s big enough to hold all of the meatballs and place over a medium heat. Heat until the sauce is bubbling and has reduced by a third then add the meatballs and cook for a few minutes stirring regularly until the meatballs and nicely coated with the glaze, add the sesame and mix well.
- Serve the meatballs and curry with steamed rice and a scattering of pomegranate seeds
For the meatballs
- 14oz Meatless Farm Meat Free Ground
- 30g potato flour (available at most major supermarkets usually in the free from section)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 40g vegetable oil
- 20g light soy sauce (use tamari to keep it gluten free)
- 2 tsp miso
For the curry
- 1 tbsp veg oil
- 1x white onion, diced
- 40g (thumb sized) piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 5x garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 50g fresh turmeric, peeled and finely chopped
- 1x red chilli, sliced
- 1kg sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 400g water
- 400g (1 tin) coconut milk
- 5g soy sauce
- 120ml maple syrup
- 120ml soy sauce
- 40ml rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame seeds