What’s not to love about this family favourite vegan cottage pie with Meatless Farm plant-based mince? The original starting place for going meat-free without compromising on taste and texture.
- 350g Meatless Farm Plant-Based Mince
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 sticky of celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 200g vegan beef stock
- 2 tbsp gravy granules
- Splash of Hendersons Relish
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 150g peas
- 50ml veg oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1.5kg potatoes (ideally Maris Piper)
- 50g vegan butter
- Pre-heat oven to 190.C
- First job is to cook the Meatless Farm Plant-Based Mince… Drizzle the oil in a non-stick pan, flake the mince in and cook for a few mins over a medium heat. Add more oil and stir every now and then, keep cooking until the mince is crispy. It’ll take around ten mins (keep the heat low so it doesn’t burn) then set aside.
- For the main sauce, drizzle some oil into a pan over a low/med head. Add the onion, carrots, celery & thyme. Season with plenty of salt and pepper and cook over a low heat for around 5 mins, then add the garlic. Cook gently for 2 mins. Add the tomato puree, cook for 3 or 4 mins on a low heat.
- Next, add the stock, followed by the gravy granules. Season with a splash of Henderson’s and soy sauce. Cook for 2 mins then stir in the cooked mince and the peas. This is your gorgeous, rich filling! Stick it all in a roasting dish or pie dish and set aside.
- For the mash, peel the potatoes, chop into even chunks and place in a deep pan with cold water. Season with sea salt, bring to the boil and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Drain the potatoes, mash with a masher until lovely and smooth. Add the butter to the pan, season well with salt & pepper (for a creamier mash add a splash of vegan cream)
- Spoon your mash on top of the pie mix, spread out with a fork, sprinkle over some cheese if you’re feeling the need for some cheese (we all have those days).
- Bake in the oven for 25 mins until the potato is golden and the filling is lovely and hot.
- Serve with some steamed greens and have a lovely time!
There’s plenty more where this came from.
Why not try some of these delicious plant-based recipes out and Make It Meatless!