This M*** F*** vegan breakfast wrap is the best start to the day. Packed full with our plant-based sausages, spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms and tofu. Can be eaten hot or cold. The key to this recipe is get all of the elements ready separately first, then reheat when you’re ready to assemble.
- 4 Meatless Farm Chipolata Sausages, cooked and sliced in half lengthways
- 2 tortilla wraps
- 4 slices of vegan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 30g baby leaf spinach
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cherry vine tomatoes, halved
- 1 mushroom, sliced
- Splash of red wine vinegar
- 300g silken tofu, half cut into chunks, half blitzed until smooth in a food processor
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 spring onion finely sliced
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- Plenty of black pepper
- ½ tsp of sea salt
- 1 Maris Piper potato either grated cut into fine strips with a mandolin
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- Sea salt to taste
- A twist of black pepper
- First job is to cook the sausages. Heat a little oil in a non stick pan over a medium heat, fry the sausages carefully until coloured all over. This will take 6–8 mins. Once cooked, remove from the pan and slice in half lengthways and set aside.
- For the spinach, tomato & mushroom, heat the olive oil over a medium heat with the garlic clove, add the mushrooms and season well, cook until coloured on both sides, add the cherry tomatoes and lower the heat, cook for 1 min until just starting to soften, add a tiny splash of red wine vinegar followed the baby spinach. Remove the pan from the heat immediately so the spinach wilts gently with the residual heat of the pan. Season and leave to one side.
- For the tofu scramble, heat a little oil in a non-stick pan over a low heat, add the garlic and spring onion, season well with salt and cook gently until the garlic smells absolutely amazing and you want to stick your face in it (don’t actually stick your face in it!). Add the whizzed up half of the tofu along with the turmeric and smoked paprika to the pan. Cook gently for 2 mins, then add the rest of the tofu. Season well and heat through.
- For the hash brown, place the grated potato in a sieve, hold over your sink and very carefully pour over some freshly boiled water, this will help soften the potato and remove some starch.
- Give the potato a good wash under cold water, drain well and squeeze out as much excess water as possible. Place the potato in a mixing bowl and season well with salt and pepper and add a large nob of (vegan) butter.
- On a baking tray lined with baking parchment, place an egg ring (if you have one), drizzle in a little oil and gently press some of the potato mix into the egg ring. Repeat with the remaining potato mix. If you don’t have an egg ring just shape roughly with your hands. Drizzle each hash brown with a little rapeseed/veg oil. Bake in the oven at 180C for 30 mins or until nice and crispy.
- To assemble and finish the wrap… Take a tortilla and make cut half way up from the bottom to the centre. Lay the sausage slices in one quarter and top with the cheese, the hash brown, the spinach mix and the scrambled tofu in separate quarters of the wrap. Then carefully fold it over on itself. Place the wrap on a baking tray and pop in the oven at 180C for about 10 mins until hot and crispy. Remove from the oven, grab a big and enjoy. It’ll probably be very messy but it’ll be worth it.
There’s plenty more where this came from.
Why not try some of these delicious plant-based recipes out and Make It Meatless!